Thursday, April 6, 2017

April 6 Turkey Hunting Outlook

April 12th brings the opening day of the Minnesota Turkey season.  I was fortunate to draw a 1st season tag for both Minnesota and Iowa (opening April 17)  so this will be the start of my season also.  My plan to start the season is to hunt an oak ridge where the turkeys historically roost early in the season.  This is a big horseshoe-shaped oak lined ravine with a creek running through the bottom.  A classic turkey roosting area.  My success in this area has been mixed in the past.  I have harvested several birds here, but when hunting so close to the roost, action typically comes early or not at all. A big thank you to again JFN Farms for allowing me to enjoy the outdoors on your beautiful farm. Thank you!
Turkey flock in March on the oak ridge

My plan for Iowa will be similar.  With the birds still grouped together in larger flocks, I plan to hunt close to the roosting sites in order to catch the toms before they join up with the hens.  I will be hunting a mix of public and private land in a couple of different areas.  Having multiple options and a large area to hunt can definitely increase the odds of success.  Good luck to all those hunting turkeys this spring! --KK

No comments:

Post a Comment